Of all the marketing methods for your startup, email is one of the most powerful.
What’s more 59% of marketers say it is the number one ROI-generating marketing method. Many companies, in fact, are increasing their spend on email marketing because it simply works.
Because email marketing is a great tool for you, let’s look at how startups can use newsletters to accelerate growth.
Build Your List
One of the hardest parts of email marketing in the beginning is growing your list. You can do it with a plan and a bit of diligence. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure you have a mobile-friendly website.
- Pick an email marketing provider such as MailChimp, Campaign Monitor, or another. You’ll find that some may even have free plans until you get to a certain subscriber number.
- Come up with a give-away that you think your target audience would be interested in.
- Then, put your give-away on your website. Create an email capture form using your email service provider. Tell your audience that they will be entered into your drawing once they provide you with their email address.
- Create a thank you form in your email system. Let your customers know you appreciate them. Let them know what they can expect from your emails and where they can find out if they won. For example, tell them you’ll announce the winner on Facebook on a specific date.
- Create a social media page such as Facebook. Email service providers like MailChimp let you add a sign-up form to your page. Encourage your followers to sign up for your email list.
- If you have a storefront, ask customers to sign up for your email list in your store.
- If you go to trade shows or other events, make sure to collect emails at these as well.
Have a Strategy
Your email marketing strategy should be part of your bigger overall marketing plan. This helps ensure you’re meeting all of your goals.
For example, let’s say you plan to offer special pricing on one product each month. You’ll want to advertise this through your email newsletters.
Or, you may decide to send out newsletters that are strictly content based. To do this, you want to know what’s of interest to your target market. Then, craft your content around it.
For example, you may write several blogs each week. Send out a brief clip of each article in your newsletter with links to your website.
Your email newsletter should provide valuable content to your current and future customers. This engenders loyalty and encourages a future purchase.
First, you always want to use an email service provider because this helps you stay on top of anti-spam laws, organize your list, and analyze reports.
Next, make a content plan. Decide how often you’ll send your email. You may choose once a week, bi-weekly, or monthly.
Design your email or hire a freelance contractor who is an expert in email design. They’ll know exactly how to craft an email with superb calls to action as well as mobile friendly design.
Do some research on your industry and look at the best times to send your email for open rates and send accordingly.
More people use email than social media, which is further proof email is a good tool for your startup.
Take the tools listed here, start building your list, create a content strategy and calendar, and start crafting your emails.
As a startup, you are in the unique position of being able to segment your list from the start. This way you can send appropriate content to people who want it.
Personalize your emails based on your list and your data and focus on email segmentation. You’ll find that the more personal the email, the better. For example, you may send one email to one group of people and a slightly different email to another group.
So, If you haven't built a robust newsletter strategy into your startup's marketing mix, now is the time to do so.
Are you a new startup ready to succeed? Are you looking to get your new business off the ground and watch it rise to success? We are here for you. We can help answer your questions and guide you through the process. Outsource your HR duties, finances, payroll and more to us. Contact Escalon today to get started.